The Karachi Masala spiced Potatoes recipe is a lightly spiced, Pakistani-inspired side dish. It goes particularly well with steamed rice and other vegetable curries. You can also serve it along with my Indian dosa recipe for a filling, gluten free meal.
I was given the Karachi Masala spice sample by Chef Antonio from Seasonality Spices. I never used Karachi Masala before and I wanted to come up with a hardy and spicy potato recipe for dinner, that is fairly quick and easy to make. This dish is inspired by one of my favorites Indian dishes, Bombay Aloo. You can order the Karachi Masala mix here. Or simply watch this video to make your own. It is fun to experiment with new flavors and seasoning. Cooking doesn’t have to be a science. Feel free to customize any of the ingredients in this recipe to your liking. I must admit that I love spicy food so if this dish is too hot for you, simply omit the cayenne pepper.
- Try adding some cooked cauliflower to the potato mix.
- Mix-in freshly chopped cilantro right before serving.
- Try adding some fresh minced ginger to the onion & garlic mixture for a more intense flavor.
- Top with freshly chopped red chili pepper, if desire.
- Drizzle with cashew cream before serving.